Property Australia

Sixty Martin Place open for business

PROPERTY AUSTRALIA December 17, 2019

Sydney’s $1 billion premium grade commercial tower at Sixty Martin Place has reached practical completion and is officially open for business.

Developed by Investa Commercial Property Fund and co-owner Gwynvill Group, the mixed-use development spans 40,000 sqm of lettable area over 33 levels, returning urban character to the city’s key global financial hub.

Constructed by Lendlease and designed by HASSELL, Sixty Martin Place boasts a striking curved façade that offers ‘breathing space’ to the neighbouring St Stephen's Church. Inside, the five-storey civic room provides a link between Martin Place and Macquarie Street, reconnecting the city with the historic church.

Nearly all levels overlook the Royal Botanic Gardens and Sydney Harbour, taking in views of the Opera House and the length of Martin Place.

181219 - Project of the Week - Sixty Martin Place 1Sixty Martin Place’s large floorplates allow for double and triple-height interconnected workspaces which flow seamlessly through the building – and it’s no surprise the asset is 80 per cent pre-committed, with the remaining 20 per cent in the final stages of negotiation.

The tower has been awarded the WELL Core & Shell Pre-certification at the Platinum level and is targeting a 6 Star Green Star design rating and a 5-star NABERS Energy rating.

Among the sustainability and wellness features, the building has a dedicated bicycle entrance complete with bike racks, lockers and showers. Inside, floor-to-ceiling windows minimise the use of artificial lighting, and superior ventilation technology produces exceptionally clean air.

As Investa’s first smart commercial building, Sixty Martin Place integrates a digital visitor management and locker booking system, smart access-controlled doors and a smart carpark management system, all delivering convenience and security for users of the building.

Independent quantity surveying and construction cost management consultancy WT Partnership has been involved with the cost planning strategy of Sixty Martin Place since conception. 

“The initial price received a good tender response on the market, and the project was delivered within budget and on program,” says Gary Mayor, WT’s associate director.

The result?

“Sixty Martin Place is the only premium grade Sydney CBD office development to be finished in 2019 and is regarded as the new civic and business heart of Sydney,” Mayor concludes.